Friday, April 19, 2013

Planting Day!


I wait impatiently for weeks, carefully monitoring the 10 day forecast until there is no chance of consistently cold nighttime temperatures, until the Saturday morning I’ve been waiting for since October.  Planting Day.  My Christmas.  It’s my favorite day of the year.  It’s the day I know that spring has finally sprung and I can almost taste the incomparable deliciousness of a sun-warm tomato.

I never buy my plants from large chain home improvement or big box stores.  I have consistently purchased my seedlings from the Farmer’s Market in Raleigh for the past few years and have supported local farms while ensuring I knew my plants weren’t being flown from a greenhouse across the country.  This year, I also purchased seedlings from Gunter’s Greenhouse, an adorable greenhouse just a few miles up the road.

The first garden at my new home has been planted and I must say I find it rather impressive.  Both raised beds are filled with vegetables, and of course I couldn't abandon the perfectly good containers that have supported the growth of nine feet tall tomato plants.  What’s growing this year?


Tomatoes – 15
Sunsugar cherry (3), Sweety grape (3), Yellow boy (3), Summer sweet (4), Early girl (2)


Peppers – 10
Jalapeno (2), Big bertha (4), California (4)


Cucumbers – 4

Zucchini – 4

Blueberry bushes – 2

Fig tree

Planting day.  My favorite day.

No comments:

Post a Comment